Jason Newsom, M.D.has been awardedThe Eat to Live Honor Awardfor displaying outstanding courage in standing up to protect American lives. You are a true American hero and we applaud you.
Dr. Newsom I applaud you. Wow, this man is clearly an American hero, who aims to help others, in spite of personal sacrifice, economic backlash, and a hostile environment of addicts that surround him. More about him:
- He is an American hero, 38-year-old former Army doctor - served in Iraq
- Returned home to run the Bay County Health Dept. in Panama City, Fla.
- Launched a one-man war on obesity by posting warnings on electric sign outside the health department building:
- “Sweet Tea Liquid Sugar”
- “Hamburger Spare Tire”
- “French Fried Thunder Thighs”
- “America Dies on Dunkin’” to replace Dunkin’ Donut’s advertising slogan, “America Runs on Dunkin’”
- A county commissioner who owns a doughnut shop and two lawyers who own a new Dunkin’ Donuts on Panama City Beach, along with some of his own employees, turned against him.
- After the lawyers threatened to sue, his bosses at the Fla. Health Dept. made him remove the anti-donut rants, and eventually forced him to resign.
- Newsom picked on doughnuts because they are, “ubiquitous in this country. Everywhere I went, there were two dozen doughnuts on the back table. At church, there were always doughnuts on the back table at Sunday school. It is social expectation thing.”
- He was hired by the state Health Dept. to direct the county agency. His job primarily involved educating the public about health issues, including the dangers of doughnuts.
- He angered staff members by barring doughnuts from dept. meetings and announcing he would throw them away if he saw them in the break room. He also banned candy bars in the vending machines, putting in peanuts instead.
- Dunkin’ Donut businessmen had the backing of the County Commissioner, who owns a diner and doughnut shop himself. The County Commissioner called for Newsom’s ouster. “I think he was somewhat of a zealot. I don’t have a problem with him pushing an agenda, it’s the way he did it. People borrowed money to go into business and they are being attacked by the government.”
- His bosses at the state Health Dept. told him that his leadership wasn’t wanted and that he could be fired or resign. He chose to resign on May 8, but has reapplied for the job.
- Newsom currently works at a prison, doing exams of inmates.
- Dunkin’ Donuts is pleased the signs have been removed.
Would you have risked your job to take a stand against donuts, sugar and fries?