Today is the Kick-off! Succeed by Being Supported
Dr. Fuhrman's Holiday Challenge has now begun and what an opportunity this is for you to be able to take action and regain your health! You have made the decision to take on the challenge, which is the first step, but now you need to take action. You'll need to stay firm and dedicated the entire six weeks; not just here at the start. Eating high-nutrient foods will provide motivation, because you’ll feel great and see the positive physical results quickly, but there is more that you can do to increase your success.
The following are a few strategies, some of which you may have already heard of or used in the past, and they will increase your likelihood of successful completion of the challenge:
1. Tell everyone you know what you are doing for your health and how excited you are about it. By telling close friends, family members, neighbors, and coworkers, you are going to make this more “real” and not just a secret struggle that you “hope to get through”. The worst position to be in is all alone; just you and your addictions and bad habits. You’ll see that others will ask you about how you are doing with the challenge, and many will want to support you and cheer you on. You don’t want to let yourself down, of course, but by involving more people that are also expecting you to follow through, you won’t want to let them down either.
2. Ask friends, family members and coworkers that also have a need to turn their health around to do the challenge with you. Share recipes and ideas. Eat and exercise together, if you can. It’s more fun and motivating this way and is one of the best strategies for success.
3. Interact with others who have succeeded already and have “been there” so they can motivate you and give you more tips for success. A great way to do this is by participating in the online forums at DrFuhrman.com. [Dr. Fuhrman is offering a free, six week membership over the holidays. See link below.] There isn’t a better place where there’s such a concentrated group of like-minded nutritarians than on the member center; and the more you get involved there, the more success you’ll have. Some will even post their daily thoughts as they are transitioning to a healthy lifestyle, and they’ll get daily responses from experienced nutritarians who care.
4. Educate yourself daily about the science of nutrition. Make efforts to understand why eating a high micronutrient, plant-based diet is the healthiest for you, and why it is the most sustainable way to lose weight and keep it off. Read Dr Fuhrman’s newsletters and books, and actually look up the research articles that are referenced in these materials and on DiseaseProof.com and DrFuhrman.com. Knowing why you are making these changes in your life is an important component for long term success.
5. Track your success each day (perhaps with a chart on your refrigerator) and give yourself non-food related rewards for reaching your dietary goals weekly or even daily, if needed.I wish all of you the best success in reaching your health goals. I’ll see you on the other side!
To view the official rules and promise, click here.
Dr. Benson sees the majority of patients at Dr. Fuhrman’s office in Flemington, and is well versed in modern high-tech medicine and the nutritional and natural methods utilized by Dr. Fuhrman. He also works side-by-side with Dr. Fuhrman on nutritional research, gives lectures, and answers questions on Dr. Fuhrman’s Ask the Doctor forums.
image credits: flickr, table setting by Allan Henderson; four women by TheArches