I Love Raspberries!
I love berry season, and my absolute favorite are raspberries. Besides being delicious, they’re also packed to the brim with nutritional goodness. Honesty, I can’t get enough at this time of year.
The sheer amount of goodness packed into such a small fruit amazes me! So, what’s in there? Well, raspberries are a wonderful source of vitamin C (around 30mg per 1-cup serving), manganese, and dietary fiber (30% daily value), and they also contain some vitamin B2, folate, niacin, magnesium, copper and potassium.
In addition to all of this, if you’re eating them regularly, you’ll get a good dose of anti-cancer phytonutrients such as anthocyanins, quercetin, and ellagic acids - these can help improve immune function, and reduce the risk for other chronic diseases such heart disease.
Phytonutrients are actually most concentrated in the peel or skin of fruits and vegetables, and this is why berries, with their high skin-to-fruit ratio, are such a concentrated phytonutrient source.
Here are a few quick serving ideas:
- Mix 1/2 cup fresh raspberries with millet porridge for a delicious healthy breakfast.
- Add raspberries to a green salad, or blend and serve as a dressing.
- Make real fruit ice-pops - blend raspberries, place into plastic ice-pop containers, freeze and enjoy anytime.
- For a simple dessert sprinkle fresh raspberries with balsamic vinegar.
- Add dried raspberries to your nut mix for a healthy snack.
Next time you feel like a snack, instead of reaching for cakes or cookies, why not go for the ninja warrior of the berry world, and satisfy your sweet cravings with raspberries!
Image credit: Caramdir