Dr. Fuhrman's Health Getaway; part 1 - the meals
Rancho Bernardo Inn, tucked away in beautiful San Diego County, was the location for Dr. Fuhrman’s Health Getaway that took place on July 11-17. Every detail was perfectly orchestrated to make it an incredible week of learning the latest nutritional discoveries by Dr. Fuhrman, motivational encouragement, special presentations, physical fitness classes, healthy eating, tasting new recipes, health assessments, relaxation, and forming lasting friendships. Because describing the Getaway is like trying to capture Niagra Falls into a glass jar, I’ll focus on different parts of it over the next few weeks; plus, I’ll include some commentaries from others so you can hear various perspectives also. [Special thanks to Dan Williams, a guest at the Getaway and a phenomenal photographer, for sharing some wonderful images that I'll be posting over the next few weeks.]
The following were highlights of the week’s meals:
- The Sunday evening welcome reception was on the San Bernardo patio overlooking beautiful views of the landscapes below; complete with a refreshing California breeze and delicious hors d’oeuvres: Fruit Kabobs, No Meat Balls with Marinara Sauce, Endive stuffed with Tuscan Bean Dip, Cantaloupe Slush, and Coconut Slushy.
- This was followed by dinner in the San Bernardo Ballroom: French Minted Pea Soup, Pistachio Crusted Tempeh and Shiitake Mushrooms, Wild & Basmati Rice, Fresh Greens with Dr. Fuhrman’s Salad Dressings, Steamed Green Beans, California Creamed Kale, and Poached Pears with Raspberry Sauce.
- Every meal for the entire week, including each breakfast, was a lavish celebration of delicious foods and visual beauty. Breakfasts and lunches were served on the Santiago Courtyard; complete with outdoor fountains, sculptures, flowers, linens, and dinnerware.
- The recipes came directly out of Dr. Fuhrman’s book, Eat for Health, or the recipe section of Member Center of DrFuhrman.com. I tasted almost everything, and there wasn’t one recipe that I would not make for my family and/or dinner guests. Some of my favorites were:
- California Creamed Kale (I could eat this for every meal for the rest of my life!)
- Dr. Fuhrman’s Anti Cancer Soup
- Broccoli Vinaigrette (doesn’t get much better!)
- Braised Bok Choy (delicious! a must make-again)
- Roasted Vegetable Pizza
- Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream (tastes a lot like chocolate/cherry cordials)
- Broccolini with Tomato Almond Sauce (my favorite of favorites!)
- Asian Vegetable Stir Fry
- Eat Your Greens Fruit Smoothie
- Eggplant Roll Ups (the tops; fascinating combination of flavors)
- Mixed Berry Freeze (refreshing)
- Banana Walnut Ice-Cream
- Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie (to die for ~ in my opinion)
- Apple Surprise (a wonderful breakfast treat)
- Apple Carrot Custard Pie (“Wow, this is healthy?!”)
- Many were ecstatic to have dropped several pounds by the end of the week while eating such delicious foods! As one guest described it, "The food was delicious and so satisfying I was surprised this was good for me. I really CAN eat this way for life." May we all incorporate such great tasting food into our lifetime journeys of eating for health. – Bon Appetit!
image credits: meal settings by Rancho Bernardo Inn; food by Dan Williams of KalareStudios.com