- Amphibians, like salamanders, are indicator species for the health of an ecosystem. So, we might be in trouble. Salamanders are disappearing from rainforests in Central America. And a fungus spread by climate change MIGHT be to blame; via National Geographic News.
- We’ve all heard rising sea levels will nibble away at Florida’s coastline, but it could be worse than expected. Melting Arctic ice was thought to raise sea levels around New York and California 16 to 17 feet, but now it could be up to 21 feet; the Associated Press reports.
- Speaking of Arctic seas, the United States has banned fishing in waters where sea ice has receded, specifically 3 miles offshore to 200 miles offshore starting at the Bering Strait in Alaska and extending north and east to the U.S.-Canada border; from Red Green and Blue.
- Don’t start eating McDonald’s, but apparently all those Filet-O-Fish sandwiches are eco-friendly, they’re made with a Pollack, a low contamination fish, and McDonald’s buys 43.2 million pounds a year from sustainable fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska; via TreeHugger.
- A fast food fish sandwich might be gross, but using beer waste, garbage and human poop as biofuel is doubly icky. And regarding the crap, the process of breaking down poop into fuel poses no health risk by the time it reaches your tank. What a relief; from Fresh Greens.
- Luckily wind is a cleaner energy and now the United States officially leads the world in wind power. The U.S. supplanted Germany as the world leader, recording a 50% growth in wind, reaching 25GW of capacity. And China is set to boost wind power too; EcoGreek reports.
Image credit: cotinis