Green-News: Tuesday 12.23.08
- On New Year’s they drop the ball. But some people shoot off fireworks too. And sure, they look cool, but they hurt the environment and your health. A new study shows that fireworks aggravate respiratory conditions, like asthma, because they release harmful aerosols; NewScientist reports.
- Ethiopia is giving away 4 million low-energy light bulbs. For free! All citizens have to do is trade in their old-style incandescent bulbs. The new lights will last longer and help lower people’s energy bills. But, the low-energy bulbs won’t last forever and are 6 times more expensive; from the BBC.
- Idaho has 550,000 cows and the state’s energy czar is looking to turn all that methane into electricity that can be pumped into the power grid. Idaho already provides farmers with tax-exemptions for installing digesters to convert waste in power; the Associated Press explains.
- By now, most people are worried about climate change. And new research by NASA reveals global warming is causing more tropical storms. Every 1.8 degrees the average ocean surface warms up, there’s a 45% increased chance of high clouds, which cause storms; the AFP reports.
- Speaking of climate change, some experts believe abrupt changes in weather will happen sooner than expected. A U.S. government report claims seas levels will rise as polar ice continues to melt and ongoing drought in the west, could lead to a permanent drying of the region; via ENN.
- So, amidst all the swirling weather news, President-elect Barack Obama has appointed two climate change experts, a physicist and a marine biologist. One will serve as Obama’s science advisor and the other will oversee ocean and atmospheric studies; from The New York Times.
Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Dr. Fuhrman's Executive Offices
4 Walter E. Foran Blvd.Flemington, NJ 08822