Eating to Live on the Outside: Vegetarian House
Good morning kiddies! It’s Saturday, I can finally unchain myself from the blogs, but first. Its time for Eating to Live on the Outside and this weekend I’m “off” to Vegetarian House in San Jose, California. It’s certainly got an encouraging name.
Now, at first glance the menu looks pretty good. However, I do see some stir-fried and sautéed stuff, which can be iffy, but good thing there’s a ton of veggies too. So then, here’s a quick list of food that caught my eye:
Steamin’ Greens with Rice
- Steamed green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, red bell pepper and tofu in a light lemon sauce, served with rice; skip the rice and you’ve got a real winner.
- Chickpeas, sesame tahini, spices and pita bread; you might pass on the pita, but I’m okay with it.
Mu Shu Rolls
- Steamed mixed vegetables, soy protein, rice paper and spicy bean sauce; not too bad.
- Shredded cabbage, tofu, fresh herbs, soy protein, vinaigrette and peanuts; sounds good, but dressing on the side.
- Romaine lettuce, vegan feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, olives and Greek olive oil dressing; same deal with the dressing and I’ll pass on the fake cheese.
Baby Spinach Salad
- Cranberries, baby spinach, corn, toasted almonds, sesame seeds and light vinaigrette; dressing on the side.
- Mixed spring salad, Romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, soy protein and house dressing; again with the salad dressing.
Split Pea & Barley Soup
- Barley, carrot, split pea and celery; provided it’s not salty, I like it.
- Steamed greens, broccoli, cauliflower, red bell peppers, carrot, pine nuts, tofu and light lemon sauce; sounds cool.
- Steamed green beans, pine nuts and light lemon sauce; very simple, very good.
Steamed Collard Greens
- Fresh steamed collard greens with mushroom sauce and carrot; no problems here.
Healthy Brown Rice
- Roasted pine nuts, sesame seeds, nori, vegetables, cucumber, brown rice and tangy sauce; not a bad choice either.
Vegetarian House has a lot to offer, with not a lot of problems. Sure, there’s a bunch of stir-fried stuff, but as you can see, you’ve got of other options. Now, if I had to pick something. I’m going with the Baby Spinach Salad or the Steamin’ Greens.
Okay, listen up! If you’re not too busy partying this weekend, do me a favor. Flip through Vegetarian House’s menu and let me know what looks good to you. Do you like my picks or something different? Either way, do tell, do tell. Peace.
Image credit: Vegetarian House