It’s Saturday, time for another Eating to Live on the Outside! And this week I’m off to warmer climates again, heading to Florida, to check out The Present Moment Café and I’m pretty hopeful about it. It looks good. And seriously, I wish I was REALLY heading to Florida. Sigh.
Now, Present Moment’s menu isn’t as cut and dry as you’d think. There are lots of exotic sounding and creative looking goodies, so it’s hardly boring, but there are still plenty of menu items worth trying out. Here’s a short list of foods I might consider ordering:
Miso Soup Bowl
- Shitake mushrooms and coconut udon noodles garnished with green onion and red pepper; if it’s not too salty, I’d give it a whirl.
Kale Avocado ala Present Moment
- Red pepper, kale, avocado, tomato, lemon garlic-olive oil and topped with candied walnuts; kale is great, so is avocado, but I’d get the oil on the side.
A Middle East Peace Hummus
- No bean hummus blended with cashews, drizzled with mint oil and served with fresh vegetables and corn chips; the chips are iffy, the veggies are awesome and “no bean hummus” is very intriguing.
Collard Wrap of the Day
- Fresh collard leaf rolled around veggies served with almond ginger dipping sauce; sounds fantastic!
Maki Sushi Roll with Cup of Miso Soup
- Parsnip “rice”, avocado and vegetables rolled in a nori sheet and served with wasabi and ginger tamari dipping sauce; same deal with the soup, no wasabi for me and the parsnip rice sounds interesting.
- Open-face walnut, sunflower, almond, carrot and zucchini burger served on a slice of tomato, topped with cashew “provolone” and caramelized onions, served with salad, pickle and chips; no chips for me.
- Sweet and spice glazed Asian vegetables served over sea glass noodles in a sesame sauce topped with curried cashews; the noodles aren’t great, but I can handle it.
- Indian curried vegetables folded into mango coconut wrappers and served on a bed of seasoned baby spinach; I’m not sure what the wrappers are, but everything else is cool.
No doubt, The Present Moment Café serves up some unique creations, but if I had to choose, I’d probably go with the Kale Avocado salad or the Collard Wrap. Both are cooked up with plenty of greens. You might consider a juice too. Some are made with beets and goji berries. Sweet!
Okay, I know it’s the weekend and the last thing anybody wants to do is work, but I need your help. Flip through Present Moment’s menu and tell me what you like. What would you order? The same stuff as me or something different? Put your thinking cap on and let me know. Peace.
Image credit: The Present Moment Café