I’m so glad its Saturday. I was burning the candle at both ends this week. I’m cranky and pooped, but enough about me. Time for Eating to Live on the Outside! This week my digital trip is pretty short, we’re off to New York City to peep The Organic Grill.
The menu is pretty hearty, definitely some enticing food to choose from. It’s not all a slam-dunk, but you’ve got a few options. So, at first glance, here’s a preliminary list of stuff I might order. Some things are better than others:
- Cucumber, red onion, carrots, sprouts, grape tomatoes, marinated tofu and avocado; sounds perfect, but I’ll get the dressing on the side.
Grilled Tofu Sandwich
- Grilled, marinated tofu, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, garlic aioli on five grain wheat bread or spelt bread, with slaw, pickle and home fries; I’ll go with the wheat bread, garlic aioli on the side and ditch the fries, maybe swap in a side like blanched greens or quinoa.
House Made Veggie Burger
- Sunflower seeds, brown rice, mushrooms, carrots, herbs, red onion, lettuce, tomato, sprouts with tofu mayo on sprouted wheat sesame bun; no mayo for me.
Roasted Garlic Humus with Warm Pita Bread
- Humus with roasted garlic, topped with cucumber-tomato salsa served with pita bread; the bread is iffy, but I can deal with it.
- Wheat or corn tortillas layered with the bean of the day, brown rice, cheddar or vegan cheese, mesclun salad and topped with pico de gallo; I’ll pass on the cheese.
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red onions, pepper, lettuce, tomato, sprouts and topped with tofu mayo on multi-grain or spelt toast, served slaw, pickle and home fries, no fries, I’ll go with the multi-grain and I’d probably order a side of blanched greens again.
Grilled Portobello Sandwich
- Grilled, marinated Portobello mushroom, red onions, roasted pepper, lettuce, tomato and sprouts, topped with tofu mayo on a sprouted wheat sesame bun, served with slaw, pickle and home fries; I’d ditch the mayo and the fries.
Grilled Portobello and Tofu Plate
- Grilled, marinated Portobello mushroom and tofu served with mashed sweet potatoes and garlic sautéed greens; you might not like the sautéing, but I’m not too worried about it.
The Organic Grill is not clear cut. There are a few hang ups, but overall, it works! Now, if I had to pick something, I’d go with either the Mesclun Salad or the Grilled Portobello and Tofu Plate. I’m cool with both, but I’m leaning towards the salad.
Actually, I haven’t been to the city for a while. I should probably drag my lazy butt in there and hit up The Organic Grill, but in the meantime. Take a few minutes, flip through The Organic Grill’s menu and let me know what you’d order. Peace.
Image credit: The Organic Grill