It’s Saturday, time for another pseudo trip to far off locations to sample the local delicacies and this week Eating to LIve on the Outside heads across the pond to the United Kingdom to grab a bite to eat at Saf a veggie restaurant boasting plant-based, botanical yum-yums. Sounds good!
Now, let’s imagine I’m really in London, sitting at table and about to order something. I better pick something fast! Okay, before the waiter comes over. Here’s a quick list of things I might order, some are better than others:
- Wasabi pea powder, fleur de sel and black sesame; I love edamame beans, but I’d ask them to hold the salt.
White Bean Hummus
- Fresh harissa, mint oil and crostini; not great because of the oil and bread, but I might consider it.
- Sprouted crisps, avocado, salsa, tapenade, cashew sour cream and coriander; I’m okay with the crisps and hooray for avocado.
Greens & Flowers Salad
- Baby lettuces, herbs, radishes, flowers, sprouts and citrus miso dressing; just go easy on the dressing.
Baby Kale and Avocado Salad
- Pea shoots, sweet pepper, avocado, baby kale, lemon oil and candied pecan; same deal here.
Chopped Asian Salad
- Smoked tofu, raddichio, watercress, pumpkin, seeds, yuzu juice and wakame seaweed; lots of great stuff here.
Tom Kha Soup
- Coconut-lemongrass broth, baby corn, tofu, oyster mushrooms, coriander and chili oil; it might be salt, so ask first, but otherwise it looks cool.
Swiss Chard Rolls
- Mung beans, water chestnut, Thai vinaigrette, pickled cucumber and seaweed salad; I dig it, but order the dressing on the side.
- Wood ear mushrooms, Chinese cabbage, tofu, carrot and caramelized black vinegar; sounds tasty.
Hey, not too bad for my first “trip” to the London. Saf looks great. So if I really had to order something, I’d go for the Greens & Flowers Salad, Baby Kale and Avocado Salad or the Chopped Asian Salad, either one of these has enough veggies to satisfy me.
To be totally honest, if I was in London you’d probably find me hanging out in a few pubs too. Cut me a break! I’m young and single. But enough about me do me a favor. Read through Saf’s menu and tell me what you’d bloody order! Peace.
Image credit: Saf