Eating to Live on the Outside: Herbivore
Okay, I just finished scouring Herbivore’s online menu. Here’s a list of food I might order. And you’ll see that the salads are fantastic! Take a look:
- Tofu, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes and toast with fruit spread; sounds good, but I’d pass on the toast.
Basil Pesto Scrambled Tofu
- Tofu, potatoes, basil pesto and toast with fruit spread; same deal here.
Southwestern Scrambled Tofu
- Tofu, salsa, potatoes, black beans, guacamole, vegan sour cream and corn bread; I’d nix the faux-sour cream and corn bread.
- Oatmeal with grilled bananas, maple syrup and cinnamon; the syrup is a little iffy, but I can deal with it.
- Almonds with lemon-cayenne seasoning; seems good to me.
- Char-broiled vegetables, pesto, tahini, lemon-garlic sauce and baguette; the veggies being charred stinks, but it might work, and no bread for me.
Sweet & Sour Noodle Soup
- Rice noodles, tofu, spinach, carrots, broccoli, oyster mushrooms, tomatoes, pineapple, bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro; okay, soup is always dicey, because you never know just how salty it is, so ask the wait staff first. Now, the rice noodles aren’t great, but the rest of the stuff is awesome!
Coconut Noodle Soup
- Rice noodles, tofu, spinach, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, bean sprouts, oyster mushrooms, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and coconut; same thing with this.
- Mixed greens, cucumbers, carrots, avocado, red cabbage, onions, bean sprouts, tomatoes, red beets, mint and dressing; very cool, but dressing on the side.
- Spinach, mushrooms, red onions, toasted walnuts, roasted red peppers and hemp dressing; I dig it!
Green Papaya Salad
- Green papaya, tomatoes, green beans, red cabbage, carrots, onions, peanuts, mint, lettuce and tamarind dressing; papaya salad is one of my favorite things to order.
Indonesian Noodle Salad
- Rice noodle, greens, tofu, cucumbers, pineapple, orange, sprouts, mint, cilantro, red cabbage, onions, sautéed oyster mushrooms, ginger and peanut or tamarind dressing; I’d skip the noodles and stick the dressing on the side.
- Lime marinated oyster mushrooms, tofu, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapeño peppers and crostini bread; I’ll pass on bread.
- Quinoa, spinach, kidney beans, red onions, celery and lemon shallot dressing; same thing with the dressing.
Roasted Red Beet Salad
- Red beets, greens and balsamic dressing; I like it.
Raw Kale Salad
- Kale and lemon olive marinade; its hard to beat kale!
Raw Red Beet & Spinach Salad
- Red beets, spinach and lemon shallot dressing; same thing with the dressing.
- Char-broiled vegetables, peanuts, cilantro, brown rice or basmati rice and a green salad with Dijon mustard dressing; I’d go with brown rice and get the dressing on the side.
- Char-broiled vegetables, red curry, potatoes, cilantro, brown or basmati rice and tofu; brown rice again.
- Lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, seasonal greens, red beet sauce and crostini bread; passing on the bread.
- Eggplant, potatoes, soy protein, tofu ricotta, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, spinach, marinara sauce and crostini bread; same deal with the bread.
Herbivore is loaded with awesome food! Especially the salads, they’re probably your best bet. If I had to chose, I’d either order the Green Papaya Salad or the Indonesian Noodle Salad. They both rock!
Image credit: Herbivore Restaurant