Eating to Live on the Outside: Green Elephant
Wow, it’s finally Friday! Good, I’m pooped. But before I pack it in, we’ve got to knock out Eating to Live on the Outside and this week we’re taking an internet trip to Maine and checking out Green Elephant Vegetarian Bistro.
Okay, I just finished reading Green Elephant’s menu. It’s not perfect. I wouldn’t eat everything on it. But here’s what I might order:
Steamed Yellow & Green Beans
- Spicy peanut sauce, yellow beans and green beans; very simple, very good!
Asian Vegetable Stew
- Chinese broccoli, green mustard, cabbage, Napa cabbage, cauliflower, turnip, carrot and tofu; hopefully it’s low or no salt, because all those veggies are great.
Vegetable Clear Spicy Soup
- Mushroom, butternut squash, onion, tofu and hot basil; same worry about the salt, but lots of cool vegetables.
Spicy Green Leaves Salad
- Greens and spicy bean curd dressing; hard to beat greens.
Steam Assorted Vegetables with Peanut Sauce
- Broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, sweet corn, snow peas, carrot, green beans, peanut sauce, 5-grain tempeh and brown rice; I’d ditch the tempeh and the rice isn’t the most nutrient-dense thing in the world, but I can deal with it and look at all those veggies!
- Stir-fried tofu, snow peas, carrots, zucchini, corn, bell pepper, onion, organic egg, celery, scallions, yellow curry sauce and served with buttercup squash and brown rice; I’m nixing the eggs and same thing with rice.
- Coconut milk, soy meat, chickpeas, sweet potato, carrots, onion, peanut curry, mashed buttercup squash and brown rice; no soy meat for me.
Tofu Tikka Masala
- Tofu, spinach, edamame, chickpeas, Masala curry sauce, served with brown rice seasoned with curry powder, peas, carrots and shallots; the edamame beans make this a lock for me. I love them!
Green Leaves Wrap with Mango & Herbs
- Mango, herbs, greens and tamarind dipping sauce; well, if the greens are the wraps, this sounds very intriguing. Mango is awesome.
Pineapple Brown Rice
- Brown rice, pineapple, sunflower seeds, soy meat, sweet corn, peas, carrots, scallions and organic egg; again with the rice and no egg for me.
Green Elephant works! Plenty of good stuff to satisfy your veggie desires. But if I had to pick, I’d order either the Steam Assorted Vegetables with Peanut Sauce or the Tofu Tikka Masala.
Image credit: GreenElephantMaine