- Clean coal. Do you believe it? I have my doubts. How can releasing carbon dioxide into the air, along with other pollutants, be clean? That’s why Academy Award-winning directors Joel and Ethan Coen cooked up this commercial bashing clean coal; via Gaiam Life.
- A clean technology fund developed by the Bush administration to promote coal operations in the developing world is being criticized for supplying cash to coal power stations with meager emission standards. Activists want the money put to better use; from NewScientist.
- NASA’s satellite designed to map Earth's carbon dioxide levels never hit orbit, shortly after launch it crashed into the ocean. The glitch occurred just after takeoff. Losing the $280 million satellite is a major setback for global climate research; Space.com reports.
- Some crackpot affiliated with an institute that was given hundreds of thousands of dollars by ExxonMobil, says rising carbon dioxide levels are not a problem, we shouldn’t worry and that millions of years ago the planet was just fine with a lot of carbon; via Earth First.
- One researcher insists Switzerland’s abnormally cold winter and record snow depths are no reason to doubt climate change, saying weather patterns are largely influenced by natural atmospheric pressure, but humans do influence weather events; SwissInfo.ch investigates.
- The European Union is still confident president Obama will set ambitious mid-term goals for reducing greenhouse gases. The United States has pledged to cut emissions by 80% by 2050, but hasn’t set intermediate goals, worrying some E.U. leaders; from the AFP.
Image credit: ThisIsReality.org