- We’ve all seen the video of the burned koala bear drinking water from a fireman’s bottle. And now, all this media coverage surrounding the Australian wildfires has raised concern that global warming and dryer environments could start even more fires; Reuters reports.
- But fire might reverse global warming too. Some scientists believe educing Volcanoes to erupt will cool the planet. The process, called geo-engineering, causes volcanoes to erupt and the resulting particulate matter released into the air will reflect solar rays; from ENN.
- Honeybees are in big trouble. And not just from global warming or infection or pesticides. There’s no single reason why! But mite infestation and breeding calmness into the bees are major killers. One-third of our food crops rely on bees for pollination; via NewScientist.
- Bees aren’t the only creatures disappearing. American forests are getting quieter and quieter. Bird watchers report over the past 40 years 58% of the 305 species of birds on the continental United States have shifted north as temperatures warmed up; Reuters explains.
- Apparently, some people don’t like environmentalism being taught in schools. Many educators want to help raise informed, eco-conscious young students, but some parents say it’s a lifestyle choice and should not be forced on kids; from Red Green and Blue.
- Soon spring will be here! Time to plant those vegetables and dig into your smelly compost pile! And more and more U.S. communities are composting, like in The University of Michigan, which composts, then serves locally grown food in their cafeteria; via GreenDaily.
Image credit: LouAngeli2008