I tested these muffins out as a Valentine’s Day cooking experiment and boy did they come out delicious! When my boyfriend tasted them as a pre-Valentine’s Day treat, he said they were my best recipe to date (no pun intended). Make these muffins as a guiltless chocolatey treat for any loved ones this February 14th and enjoy a sweet holiday, no sugar required. This recipe makes 12-14 muffins, so each muffin contains less than one date per muffin, making this recipe friendly for nutritarians.
10 medjool dates, pits removed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans
2 cups frozen organic strawberries, thawed
2 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseeds
¾ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coffee extract (optional)
Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, stir whole-wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3) Then, in a cup or small bowl mix ground flaxseed with ½ cup water and let sit for five minutes.
4) Put aside dry mixture and in a Vitamix or blender, combine black beans, pitted dates, 2 bananas, cocoa powder, flaxseed gel (after sitting for the five minutes), vanilla and coffee extract. Combine this mixture with the dry mixture and stir thoroughly until all the flour is mixed into the wet chocolately mixture.
5) Chop up the 3rd banana and stir in for some fun banana chunks in the final muffins. Add whole defrosted strawberries (if there is “strawberry juice” in the bowl of defrosted strawberries, leave this out as it will make the batter too liquidy) and stir in these as well.
6) In a 12-cup muffin pan place cupcake paper cups and using a spoon, scoop in batter in equal parts. Bake for 20-25 minutes and serve warm.
7) Sprinkle cinnamon on top if desired.
Happy Valentine’s Day!